The purpose was to support economic development of Zagora District through knowledge, exploitation, development and innovation of the craft of area, in particular stimulating growth and skills of craftsmen who work with palm and in similar fields.
- To recover material skills and local handmade techniques linked to the geographic reality of palm as central element of Region life;
- To increase chances of work, enhancing economic activities of local crafts and creating new possibilities of commercial transactions;
- To increase capacity of sustainable innovation of handmade products;
- To create a hypothetical commercial channel with Italian companies, searching and stimulating possibilities of utilisation of local handmade products as semi manufactured products.
- recognition and analysis of techniques and products of local crafts. Analysis of strengths and weaknesses;
- realisation of a sample book;
- beginning of planning Ateliers between local craftsmen - with palm manufacturing in the middle and with the aim of an utilisation with other materials - and students of University of Florence, to conceive and create new product typologies for the traditional handmade techniques, and to find new manufacturing techniques of traditional materials.
- Realisation of new products;
- Exhibition of handmade products, of semi manufactured products and of the Ateliers' results aimed to the realisation of productive synergy with Tuscan companies;
- Testing a possible extension of this action in that territory with other crafts reality and with involvement of local training institutions;
- Communicating the project in a local level (linking with tourist activity) and in an international level (through press of design/furniture/crafts/tourism sectors).
Direct beneficiaries are craftsmen involved in the activities of Ateliers, who will be able to change typologies of products, allowing the enlargement of sale target, not only strictly local, but also oriented to tourist trade and to new channels of international commerce.
Indirect beneficiaries are economic operators of crafts sector and of tourist sector in Draa Valley, and, more in general, all members of community of Draa Valley, in a level of knowledge and recognizability of local productive identity.